Sport Safety/Injury Prevention
The safety of all members is our primary concern.
We will actively seek to promote, encourage and support SportSafe strategies for all training and competition sessions at all levels.
The Booragoon Junior Football Club over the past three years has totally revamp all medical equipment, providing fully stocked medical kits for all teams, including Canteen and club room kits.
Under consultation from Sports Medicine Australia and our club Pharmacist, identifying and implementing the correct medical equipment for junior sport usage is a primary objective of the club.
The Booragoon Junior Football Club will encourage all members to adopt practices that seek to prevent injury by:
- Allocating resources for developing, promoting and implementing sports safety initiatives (e.g. replacement of Club safety equipment, injury prevention/first aid training for Club personnel).
- Ensuring that there is adequate public liability and player insurance.
- Actively encouraging the use of custom fitted mouthguards.
- Including recognized warm up and cool down activities for all training and competition matches.
- Encouraging members to replace fluids before, during and after training and competition sessions utilizing their own water bottle.
- Availabilty of ice packs at training and match days.
- Implementation of Chin Water Bottles, as preferred method of delivery for water to players, Coaches and support staff.
- Sterilisation of all water bottles at season end.
- Ensuring sporting equipment is well maintained and in good working order. All equipment is inspected and evaluated at season end and is replaced as/ if required.
- Maintaining an appropriate standard playing surface and checking before training or competition for obstructions or potential dangers. Club grounds manager is in regular contact with Local grounds keepers and Marker contractors.
- Adequately stocking and maintaining first aid kit and stretcher.
- Obtaining members medical history.
- Ensuring emergency contact numbers/location for nearest doctor/hospital/dentist are available at all times. All team club managers are versed in Ambulance emergency procedures and access to grounds via special entry gate.
- Providing new AFL standard padded goal posts and lights at games.
- Reviewing and updating the SportSafe Policy annually.
Club recognises that smoking and passive smoking are hazardous to health. †We will ensure a smoke-free environment by:
- Not selling tobacco products on the premises.
- Prominently displaying no-smoking signage.
- Discouraging parents / adults of players from smoking on match days and at training venues.
Club will promote the responsible adult use of alcohol at club functions by:
- Discouraging excessive or rapid consumption of alcohol eg. happy hours, drinking competitions.
- Bar staff are to implement responsible alcohol service at all times and have the right to refuse the sale of alcohol in accordance with the liquor licensing requirements.
- Promoting lower pricing on low and non-alcoholic drinks and providing free unbottled water, or bottled water for purchase at reduced price.
Club discourages the use of medications in respect of injury/recovery that
- Would enable a participant to compete where they would not otherwise have been able.
- The use of illicit drugs and performance enhancing drugs is not permitted by any Club members or patrons.
Club will take all reasonable steps to address sun safe practices by:
- Ensuring adequate shade is provided.
- Providing sunscreen at the Canteen for members, visitors and participants.
Club recognises the importance of good nutrition for sports performance by:
- Ensuring healthy alternatives are provided at the Canteen. The introduction of fresh sandwiches or rolls, cereals, milk shakes, bottled water, instant boil hot water system, new food warmers, new bain- marie, new freezer, milk shake maker and greater hygiene facilities for staff in preparation and handling of foods.
- Promoting good nutrition and healthy eating messages.
Anyone wishing to discuss any aspect of this policy is invited to contact any members of the committee.